Step by Step Skincare for Combination Skin
February 22nd, 2020
One of my first jobs out of college was working for a small start-up as a buyer working on purchasing jewelry and accessories from Korean designers for an eCommerce brand in downtown San Francisco. At this time, I was introduced to Korean culture. From K-Pop music to Jimjilbang sessions to eating Bimbimbap, I always admired my co-worker’s ritualistic skincare routine and they’d gift me unique moisturizers and toners from their trips to Korea. We’d spend a day in Los Angeles for work trips exploring Koreatown and do sheet masks at night while staying at The Line Hotel. I became acclimated to Korean culture at this time, but the skincare routine wasn’t something I actually did.
My mom taught me to cleanse, moisturize and use sunscreen but there were a few steps I didn’t know were missing. 8 years later, I heavily follow the Korean skincare routine and have actually moved to Los Angeles, work in the skincare industry and embrace every part of this ritual. Follow my everyday step by step skincare routine below. I do this every morning and night to ensure I prep my skin for whatever it has to go through during the day.
1. Muji Cleansing Oil: This washes away dirt, dissolves makeup and is best when put on dry. The clean and pure smell is an added plus.
2. Summer Fridays Super Amino Gel Cleanser: Always double cleanse. This washes away all water-based impurities to ensure that you didn’t miss it the first time around. I love that it’s a gel consistency.
3. Then I Met You Birch Milk Refining Toner: Using the cotton pads from Muji, I use this after double cleansing. This hydrates your skin and doubles as gentle exfoliant and skin buffer.
4. Muji All in One Essence: Essence is always great for prepping your skin for your serum, moisturizer and eye cream. It helps absorb all three of these very important products.
5. Summer Fridays CC Me Serum: This is another great hydration boost for your skin. It softens and refines the skin’s overall texture and hydrates it for 24 hours. I love how it’s a double Vitamin C serum so it helps with dark spots and pigmentation.
6. Biossance Squalane + Marine Algae Eye Cream: Brightens and protects the very sensitive skin underneath your eyes. Also preps your under skin for any type of concealer you may be using.
7. Glow Recipe Watermelon Pink Juice Oil-Free Moisturizer: This leaves skin feeling fresh and smooth throughout the day. Hydration is always important for the skin and this locks all moisture from the steps you’ve done before. I love how this smells like watermelons and has a gel consistency.
8. Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen: This is the most important part of skincare. Protecting your face from the sun will leave you with less wrinkles later on in life and re-invigorates your skin continuously. With this product, you’ll find your skin looking younger, brighter and smoother. I use it as a primer to my Kosas Tinted Face Oil.
The two other steps:
Sheet Mask: I do this about 2-3 times a week, depending on how much time I have. It takes about 15-20 minutes depending on what mask you have and all you have to do is leave all of the excess residue as a moisturizer.
Exfoliate: I do this 2 times a week after step 2 (water cleanser) and before using a toner. A few of my favorites include:
- Summer Fridays Overtime Mask
- Banila Co. Hi-Bye Vita Peel Exfoliating Scrub
- Klairs Youthful Glow Sugar Mask
To keep my lips hydrated I use the two products below every night and day.
Before I go to bed, I skip the moisturizer every other day and use one of the products below. It’s great to wake up to hydrated skin in the morning and these masks have made a huge difference in my routine.
I’ve been doing this skincare routine for about 8 years and it’s very meditating. Throughout the day, to keep my skin hydrated, because we all know Los Angles has dry, humid and sometimes tempermental weather, I spray on the Glow Recipe Watermelon Ultra-Fine Mist. It’s a great mist to keep in your purse. I am also obsessed with the smell.
Feel free to DM me on Instagram for any questions! Do you have any favorite skincare products? Would love to know!